On this chiquitasode, Yvette interviews Cynthia Magallanes-Gonzalez about her research on migration patterns. They discuss the similarities between the relationships of the US and Mexico to that of Spain and Morocco, the difficulties for migrant mothers with children in multiple countries, and the need for transnational activism.
Resources Shared by Cynthia M.
- Monthly reports on migration in North Africa: http://www.mixedmigrationhub.org
- “Watch the Mediterranean Sea is an online mapping platform to monitor the deaths and violations of migrants’ rights at the maritime borders of the EU”: http://www.watchthemed.net
- Journalist/author who talks about the externalization of EU borders: https://www.opendemocracy.net/author/mark-akkerman
- Sedrick Royal, Cameroonian migrant, journalist, and activist who reports on migration movements in the Western Mediterranean
- Salvamento Maritimo, NGO that rescues migrants at sea
- Plateforme Ascoms, a platform that consists of 17 NGOs ran by and for migrants/refugees all over Morocco
- Collectif des Communautés Subsahariennes au Maroc (CCSM): grassroots organization advocating for migrant rights, ran by migrants